We have all heard the term spring cleaning. Our Tampa Bay area veterinarian wants to remind owners our pets are no exception to this seasonal tradition. We have compiled a few helpful tips how to spring into action on your pet's messes.
1. Deodorize bedding: Many commercial beds have removable slip covers to make washing easy. However, the cushions themselves are difficult to wash. Sprinkle baking soda over the cushions, allow them to sit for 20 minutes and then vacuum. This will deodorize and freshen the fabric.
2. Hair removal: For surfaces you cannot vacuum lightly dampen a rubber glove and gently glide over surfaces to help collect pesky pet hair.
3. Make old toys new: Favorite toys are difficult to part with, make them new again with a simple wash. Use an all-natural unscented detergent, do not use bleach or borax. This also works for collars, clothing, blankets, and other fabric-based items that may trap dreaded "dog smalls" inside. Rubber toys such as Kongs can also be be placed in the dishwasher's top rack.
However, do not use the heated dry setting to prevent from melting.
4. Groom outdoors: Brushing your companion's hair is essential to maintaining a healthy coat and reducing unwanted shedding. Grooming them outdoors allows the extra fur to stay outside and not accumulate in the corners of your house.
5. Detect and clean old stains: Black lights are a great way to detect urine and other fluids. LED lights are available for any budget and can pin point stains you may not know existed. Clean these areas with an enzyme based cleaner. Not only will this remove odors it will prevent your pet from revisiting these areas in the future.
6. Food and water bowls: Bowls are the first thing to slip our minds to clean. Metal, plastic, and ceramic bowls can be placed in the dishwasher for a much-needed cleaning and sanitizing. This ideally should be done on weekly basis.
At River Mill Animal Hospital, we are here to serve your pets needs during all seasons. We hope our spring cleaning tips help you keep a fresh, healthy, and pet friendly environment. If you have any questions do not hesitate to call us at (813) 501-4985.