As pets have become more important to their owners, what they are fed has become equally as important. We understand the owner’s concern about the quality and nutrition level of the food they are feeding their furry family members. There are now hundreds of pet foods available to the consumer. How do you know what to believe regarding pet food claims? Our knowledgeable veterinary team can guide you through true nutritional facts verses marketing tactics aimed at pet owners to purchase their food. For instance, did you know there are specially formulated diets to aid in the treatment of diabetes, kidney disease, and arthritis? Did you know your pet requires a certain amount of calories per day? Are you over or under feeding? When selecting a commercial pet food these are some of the questions you should consider. If it is a reputable company, they will have no trouble providing you with this information.
- Does the company have a veterinary nutritionist or other qualified employees such as a Ph.D. on staff and are they available for consultation or questions?
- Who formulates your diets and what are their credentials?
- Are your diets AAFCO feed trial tested?
- Which of your diets have been AAFCO nutritional analyzed?
- Do you do testing on your diets beyond AAFCO trails?
- Do you provide a complete product nutrient analysis for each of your diets including digestibility values?
- Can you provide the caloric value per cup of your diets?
- What kind of research on your products have been conducted and results published in peer-reviewed journals?
- What specific quality control measures do you use to assure the consistency and quality of your product line and what safety measures do you use?
- Where do you make your diets and can we visit your facility?
At River Mill Animal Hospital, we take pet nutrition seriously. Call us today to discuss all of your pet’s nutritional needs.